What exactly is the Tripartite Agreement?
The Tripartite Agreement is a contract between individual community leagues, the City of Edmonton, and the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues (EFCL). Not only is the Agreement an occupation license that applies to Community Leagues with facilities built on city-owned land, and defines how these facilities can be used (renters, programs, etc.), but it also sets out the types of activities Community Leagues, with or without facilities, may engage in on city-owned land.
The agreement spells out land use and sets out the terms and conditions under which each community league can continue to occupy the property. It also defines the responsibilities of the City and the community league in the development and maintenance of the grounds and facilities.
Some of the key provisions include:
- Exemption from municipal property tax under the terms of the Municipal Government Act and its regulations
- Leagues may not enter into long-term rental agreements with any company that is not incorporated as a not-for-profit
- Leagues must maintain a comprehensive general liability insurance policy in the amount of no less than $2 million dollars, plus additional endorsements for persons and property, as well as Directors’ and Officers’ Liability Insurance
- Leagues are required to endeavour at all times to avoid activities likely to interfere with the quiet enjoyment of their premises by the neighbourhood residents.
- Leagues are prohibited from mortgaging the land and facilities, using the land to secure any form of debt, and must discharge liens against title to the land promptly.
The EFCL’s role in the Tripartite Agreement is to mediate disputes that may arise from this agreement between individual leagues and the City. If a community league ceases to function, this agreement permits the EFCL to continue to operate the league’s facilities.
The current Tripartite Agreement expires in 2021. We are forming a working group to work on the negotiation of the Tripartite Agreement. The Terms of Reference can be found here.
For a review of the formal document, please click the following PDF link.
Resources to help Leagues navigate their responsibilities under the Tripartite Agreement are available below: