Find Fitness, Friends, and Fun!
Walking is an activity appropriate for individuals of all ages and most physical fitness levels. One of the best motivators for regular walking is to walk with a group, which makes it a great community program that has the potential to foster holistic community wellness.
Some of the benefits of a community walking program include:
- Improving your physical and psychological health
- Getting to know others in your neighbourhood
- Familiarizing yourself with the resources and amenities of your community
- Appreciating vitamin ‘N’ature
- Reducing crime by residents being visible on the street
In 2016, the EFCL received a Recreation and Physical Activity Project Grant from Alberta Culture and Tourism to promote walking programs in community leagues. Through this grant, the EFCL supported 20 community leagues in launching urban poling sessions – a walking workout with poles.
The EFCL continues to build leadership and capacity in community league members interested in starting or improving a walking program in their neighbourhood. Two community walking training sessions have been scheduled for fall 2018. To learn more about these sessions, visit our seminars/workshops page.